Assessment Question Types: Combination
Which of the following are European countries: France, Germany, Spain, Montreal, Luxembourg, Tanzania? Choose one of the following answer combinations:
- France, Germany, Montreal
- France, Spain, Luxembourg, Tanzania
- France, Germany, Spain, Luxembourg
- all of the above
- none of the above
The correct answer is c. France, Germany, Spain, Luxembourg.
If your question requires a single correct answer, you should create a multiple choice question instead.
You can create or edit questions from two locations in the Assessments tool: in an assessment or the Question Database.
Step 1: Locate and click the assessment or click .
Step 2: Depending on whether you are creating or editing a question, do one of the following:
If you are creating a question:
- Click .
- Click .
- If you are editing a question, click the question title.
Step 3: Enter a title. The title is helpful for doing searches in the Question Database, where you search by question title.
Step 4: Enter the question in Plain Text or HTML format:
To enter the question in Plain Text format, enter the text. The text will appear exactly as you have typed it.
To enter the question in HTML format, you can use the HTML Creator or hand code the HTML:
To use the HTML Creator:
- Click the Enable HTML Creator button. The HTML Creator appears.
- Enter the question.
To hand-code the HTML:
- Select Use HTML.
Enter the HTML code.
- To use the HTML Creator:
- NOTE: Depending on administrator settings, the HTML Creator may not be available or it may appear by default.
Step 5: Optionally insert an equation.
Step 6: Optionally add an image to display with the question:
Next to Image, click . The Content Browser pop-up window appears.
- If the image file you want to add is on your computer, click the My Computer icon. Your computer's file browser or the Upload Files from Your Computer screen appears.Locate and select the file. The image is added. If the image file you want to add is in the course system, navigate to the file and select it. Click . The image is added.
Step 7: Under Single Answers, do the following:
In the Answer text boxes, enter the answer choices in Plain Text or HTML format. For example: If the question is Which of the following are countries in Europe: France, Germany, Spain, Montreal, Luxembourg, Tanzania, you enter the name of each country in a different text box.
- To create additional answers, click . Additional answer fields appear.
Step 8: Under Create Answer Combinations, do the following:
Select the answers for each combination. For example: For Combination 1, select answers A, C, and E. The combination A, C, and E will be one of the answer choices that Students can choose from.
To use an answer choice that is not based on an answer combination, such as none of the above or all of the above, enter it in Plain Text or HTML format in the Other text box.
Next to the correct combination, select Correct response. Only one correct answer is allowed.
To provide feedback for an answer, enter it in Plain Text or HTML format in the Feedback text box.
- To create more answer combinations, click . Additional combination fields appear.
Step 9: To see more options, click the Expand/Collapse icon next to More Options. The More Options section expands.
To include a comment about the question, enter it in Plain Text or HTML format in the General feedback text box. The comment appears when Students view their graded assessment.
To include a note that is visible only to yourself or other Section Designers, enter it in the Section Designer notes text box.
Place the question into a category. All questions are automatically stored in the Question Database but the Question Database can contain many questions, so we recommend that you organize questions in categories.
- To place the question in an existing category, select Specify an existing category and from the drop-down list, select the category. Uncategorized Questions is a default category. If you do not specify a category, the question is placed here automatically.
To place the question in a new category, select Create a category and enter the category name in the text box.
To preview the question to ensure it appears correctly, do the following:
- Click . The question appears in preview mode.
To test the grading scheme and feedback:
- Select your answer and click . The grade appears in preview mode.
- To test another answer, click . The question appears in preview mode.
- When you are finished previewing the question, click . The question appears.
Step 10: Click the button at the bottom of the page.