Assessment Question Types: Jumbled Sentence
Jumbled Sentence Questions
Translate the sentence I love to travel to Europe with friends into French: J'[aime] [voyager] [en] [Europe] [avec] [des] [amis].
The text that is in square brackets will be presented to Students in random order. To translate the sentence correctly, Students must select the words in the correct order.
You can create or edit questions from two locations in the Assessments tool: in an assessment or the Question Database.
Step 1: Locate and click the assessment or click .
Step 2: Depending on whether you are creating or editing a question, do one of the following:
If you are creating a question:
- Click .
- Click .
- If you are editing a question, click the question title.
Step 3: Enter a title. The title is helpful for doing searches in the Question Database, where you search by question title.
Step 4: Enter the question in Plain Text or HTML format, placing the missing text in square brackets.
Example: Translate the sentence I love to travel to Europe with friends into French: J'[aime] [voyager] [en] [Europe] [avec] [des] [amis].
IMPORTANT: Use only one pair of square brackets for the missing text. Correct: [missing text]. Incorrect: [[missing text]]
To enter the question in Plain Text format, enter the text. The text will appear exactly as you have typed it.
To enter the question in HTML format, you can use the HTML Creator or hand code the HTML:
To use the HTML Creator:
- Click the Enable HTML Creator button. The HTML Creator appears.
- Enter the question.
To hand-code the HTML:
- Select Use HTML.
Enter the HTML code.
- To use the HTML Creator:
- NOTE: Depending on administrator settings, the HTML Creator may not be available or it may appear by default.
Step 5: Optionally insert an equation. However, you cannot use equations as one of the jumbled items.
Step 6: Optionally add an image to display with the question:
Next to Image, click . The Content Browser pop-up window appears.
- If the image file you want to add is on your computer, click the My Computer icon. Your computer's file browser or the Upload Files from Your Computer screen appears.Locate and select the file. The image is added. If the image file you want to add is in the course system, navigate to the file and select it. Click . The image is added.
Step 7: Depending on whether you are creating or editing a question, do one of the following:
- If you are creating a question, click .
- If you are editing a question, click .
Step 8: Under Answers, do the following:
In the Value (%) text box, enter the percentage value of the correct answer.
If another answer is correct, create an alternate answer:
- Click . Drop-down lists for the alternate answer appear.
- From the drop-down lists, select the words in another order. Text that is already selected appears at the bottom of the list under a dotted line
- In the Value (%) text box, enter the percentage value of the correct answer.
Step 9: To see more options, click the Expand/Collapse icon next to More Options. The More Options section expands.
To include a comment about the question, enter it in Plain Text or HTML format in the General feedback text box. The comment appears when Students view their graded assessment.
To include a note that is visible only to yourself or other Section Designers, enter it in the Section Designer notes text box.
Place the question into a category. All questions are automatically stored in the Question Database but the Question Database can contain many questions, so we recommend that you organize questions in categories.
- To place the question in an existing category, select Specify an existing category and from the drop-down list, select the category. Uncategorized Questions is a default category. If you do not specify a category, the question is placed here automatically.
To place the question in a new category, select Create a category and enter the category name in the text box.
To preview the question to ensure it appears correctly, do the following:
- Click . The question appears in preview mode.
To test the grading scheme and feedback:
- Select your answer and click . The grade appears in preview mode.
- To test another answer, click . The question appears in preview mode.
- When you are finished previewing the question, click . The question appears.
Step 10: Click the button at the bottom of the page.