Assessments: How do I extend the time for an exam for just one student?
Disability Resource Center (DRC) students can request special accommodations such as extend time for an exam or quiz. If the student is taking the test at the same time as the rest of the class, there is no way in WebCampus to extend the time for just that one student for that same exam. However, one way to work around this limitation is to create a copy of the original exam or quiz that is released just to the student(s) that need the special accommodation.
You will need to create a new assessment and base it off of an existing assessment (to copy over questions & settings). You will also need to selectively release each exam so that each student sees only one exam. Note that this will create another column in the grade book for the 2nd exam, but you can set it to not release grades in that column and manually input the one student's score into the original exam column or just tell your students that they may see duplicate columns and to ignore the blank ones. Here's how to do each of these:
Step 1: Create extended assessment:
1. From the Build Tab, click on Assessments
2. Click on Create Assessment.
3. Enter a title different from the current one you have. For example, if you have Quiz 1, you can enter the title Quiz #1 or Quiz One
4. Select Quiz
5. Under Template select "Base on an existing assessment" and select the original assessment.
6. Click Save
(Then use Edit Properties for the new quiz to set duration, etc. You also may need to Show the item. I think by default it will be set to Hidden)
Step 2: Selectively Release the two assessments
Releasing original assessment to class (except for the student who needs extended time)
1. From the Build Tab> Assessments click on the action link (square icon to the right of the title of the assessment) and select Set Release Criteria
2. Click on Add Member Criteria
3. Change the option to Does not equal at the top of the list.
4. Check the box next to the student's name that needs the extended time.
5. Click Save
6. Click Save again
Repeat steps above to release the duplicate assessments to the student who need extended time.. except leave the option to Equals in step 3.
To manually enter the grade for the student into the original column through the grade book. Just click on the -- in column for that student and enter her score.