Assignments: How do I simulate the process of submitting an assignment like a student would?
ANSWER: STUDENT VIEW - SUBMIT ASSGINMENTS
You can simulate the process students go through to submit an assignment, and even view your submission. The Student View tab allows you to see the course and test tools (like assignments) as though you are a student. Every course includes a unique Demo Student ID for this purpose; for example, "webct_demo_6221001 Demo Student 6221001".
Role(s) Needed: The instructions for this topic apply to Section-level Instructors and Designers.
Optional: Release the Assignment to Demo Student
Do this if you are not ready to release the assignment to the class yet.
Step 1: From the Build or Teach tab, click the Assignments tool.
Step 2: Click the down arrow icon next to the assignment name and select Set Release Criteria.
Step 3: Click the Add Member Criteria button.
Step 4: Check the webct_demo_ ID.
Step 5: Click Save. This releases the assignment to the Demo Student ID only so that you don’t open it up to the whole class until you’re absolutely ready.
Step 6: If it isn't already, make sure the assignment is available so that when your criteria is met, the Demo Student (via Student View) will have access. To make it available, click the down arrow icon next to the assignment name and select Show Item.
Submit the Assignment
Step 1: Click the Student View tab.
Step 2: In the Course Menu, click the Assignments tool and select the link for the assignment.
Step 3: On the Edit Submission page, for example:
Step 5: Enter text in the Submission box or upload a file by clicking Add Attachments.
To add a file as an attachment:
- If you have already uploaded a file to your My Files, select it by clicking on the box to the left of it.
- To upload a file, select the My Computer image. If you do not see the My Computer image, you are missing the Java plug-in. Reference the articles in this knowledge base for how to get Java. You can select multiple files at a time via this method:
- The upload status box will appear. Your file will now be in your My Files area. Select your file by clicking on the box to the left of it. Click on the Add Selected button.
- To remove any attachments, click the Remove icon to the irght of the file name.
Step 6: Type any comments to the instructor in the Add Comment box.
Step 7: When you are sure you are ready to send the assignment, click the Submit button.
- The Save as Draft button does not send the assignment to the instructor. If you Save an assignment for later submission, it is marked In Progress and is listed under the Inbox tab.
- Once you Submit your assignment, it is moved under the Submitted tab.
- Once the Instructor grades your assignment, it is moved under the Graded tab.
- If the Instructor publishes your assignment, anyone in the course can access it via the Published tab.
Step 8: IMPORTANT: If you selected release criteria, when you are ready to make the assignment accessible to the class, remove the release criteria for the Demo Student ID. If you do not remove this criteria, then the class will not see the assignment.
If you have any further questions, please contact us for support. Thank you.