Course Menu: Adding Custom Links
Adding Custom Links
NOTE: Depending on administrator settings, this feature may not be available.
The course menu is the primary navigation feature in a course. The course menu is visible throughout the course and contains links to Course Tools and role-specific tools, such as Designer Tools, Instructor Tools, or My Tools for Students. You can add a custom link to an Internet resource, such as Google, under Course Tools where it is visible to all users in the course. Or you can add the link under My Tools where it is visible to Students only.
IMPORTANT: If you are designing a template, this feature applies to all courses that are based on the template. The Section Designer or Section Instructor can edit this feature in a course without changing the template.
Step 1: From Manage Course, click Course Menu.
Step 2: Next to Course Tools or My Tools, click Add Custom Link.
Step 3: In the Add Custom Link pop-up window:
In the Title text box, enter the name of the link. For example: Google.
In the URL text box, enter the URL for the link. You have the option of entering the protocol. If none is entered, the default protocol is HTTP. For example: http://www.google.com.
Decide if you want to use an icon:
If you do not want to use an icon, click Save. The custom link is added.
If you want to use an icon, click Browse. The Content Browser pop-up window appears.
If the file you want to use is on your computer:
- Click the My Computer icon. Your computer's file browser or the Upload Files from Your Computer screen appears.
- Locate and select the file. The image will be re-sized to 20x20 pixels automatically.
Click Save. The custom link is added.
If the file you want to use already exists in the course system:
- Navigate to the file and select it. The image will be re-sized to 20x20 pixels automatically.
- Click Save. The custom link is added.
- If the file you want to use is on your computer:
- If you do not want to use an icon, click Save. The custom link is added.