File: **How do I create files right within my course?
The Create File feature allows you to create files "on the fly" in your course in either Plain Text or HTML format. To create files in HTML format, you can hand code the HTML or use the HTML Creator. HTML Creator offers an easy, graphical interface for applying formatting, such as boldface, and for inserting images and links. You can create files to present content in any Course Content folder or Learning Module.
- To prevent conflicts, file names should contain no spaces or special character except the underscore (_) and only one period before the file extension (ex: HomeWorkOne.htm).
Role(s) Needed: These instructions apply to Section-level Designers.
Step 1: Click on the Build tab.
Step 2: Decide where to place the file in your course:
The top-level page, or folder, is Home:
To create a sub-folder to place the file into, click the Create Folder... button, title it, and save it. Click on the folder link to go into that folder.
- To create a Learning Module to place the file into, see the folder Learning Modules in this knowledge base for details on creating and working with this method of organizing course content.
Step 3: Click the Add File button, then Create File.
Step 4: On the Create File page
Enter a title.
Enter your content in Plain Text or HTML format:
To enter the content in Plain Text format, enter the text. The content will appear exactly as you have typed it.
To enter the content in HTML format, you can use the HTML Creator or hand code the HTML:
To use the HTML Creator, click the Enable HTML Creator button. If this is the first time you have turned on the HTML Creator, it may a few seconds to load because the system needs to verify that you have the Java plugin installed on your computer
Add or edit the text in the HTML Creator editing area. For details on the editing options, see the HTML Creator folder in this knowledge base.
If the HTML Creator doesn't load (you may see a red X), you need to install Java. Reference the articles on Java in this knowledge base for further details.
- To hand code the HTML, select Use HTML and enter the HTML code.
- To use the HTML Creator, click the Enable HTML Creator button. If this is the first time you have turned on the HTML Creator, it may a few seconds to load because the system needs to verify that you have the Java plugin installed on your computer
- To enter the content in Plain Text format, enter the text. The content will appear exactly as you have typed it.
Step 5: Optionally:
Insert an equation in the file.
To specify a file name for the file, enter a name in the File name text box. If you do not specify a file name, the title of the file will be used as the file name.
For Item Visibility, to temporarily hide the item from users, select Hide Item.
To save the file and create another right away, click Save and Add Another and repeat the above steps. The current file is saved.
Step 6: Click Save.
The Home page, folder, or learning module will refresh with a link to each file created.
Students will click on a link to access the file. Click the Student View tab to test how this link/file will behave.
If you have any further questions, please contact us for support. Thank you.
- WebCampus Support