Grade Book: How do I download or export data from my course Grade Book?
Grade Book: Export Data to Spreadsheet
Member and grade information can be exported as a comma-delimited or tab-delimited text file (.csv or .txt). You can export all column information, except formulas for calculated columns. The result of the Export to Spreadsheet process is a text file that you can edit in a program like Microsoft Excel and later import back into your online Grade Book.
NOTE: To export Grade Book data, you must be enrolled as a Section Instructor. If you have the Teaching Assistant role, you can Import from a Spreadsheet but not Export to a Spreadsheet. If you do NOT see the Export to Spreadsheet button at the bottom of a Grade Book tab view, you are enrolled as a Teaching Assistant:
Teaching Assistant Limitations:
If you are enrolled as a Teaching Assistant, either ask the Instructor to export the spreadsheet and send you the file or if you and the Instructor will be entering grades in both the Grade Book as well as offline throughout the course's duration, ask the Instructor if he or she would un-enroll you as a Teaching Assistant and request to add you with the Section Instructor role.
Given the proper role, follow these steps to export the online course Grade Book into a text file (.csv or .txt):
Step 1: From a Grade Book tab screen:
To export all members' data, click Export to Spreadsheet.
- To export selected members' data, next to each member that you want to export, select the check box and click Export from Spreadsheet.
Step 2: On the Export to Spreadsheet screen,
If you selected members to export, choose Selected members or All members.
To export the information contained in the data columns that appear in the tab from which you initiated the export, select Visible columns. To export the information contained in all data columns that have been defined for this course, select All columns.
To create a text file where field information for each member is separated by a comma, select Comma-delimited(.csv). To create a text file where field information for each member is separated by a tab keystroke, select Tab-delimited (.txt).
TIP: You may find Comma-delimited (.csv) format easier to work with in Excel. A .csv file opens directly into Excel; a .txt file requires going through a Text Import Wizard in Excel.
Select the character set that works best with your spreadsheet application for your language. TIP: Characters in some languages do not work with certain spreadsheet applications in Unicode (UTF-8). If you have difficulty reading the exported file with your spreadsheet application, try exporting in Unicode (UCS-2).
- Click Export.
Step 3: To save the file to your computer:
- In your browser's download dialog box, click Save or Save to Disk
- Choose the folder to save the file to and optionally give the default "exportedcourse" name a more meaningful one.
Your data is exported and can now be edited in a spreadsheet program such as Microsoft Excel.
If you have any further questions, please contact us for support. Thank you.
- WebCampus Support
More Like This
- Grade Book: How do I work with my downloaded Grade Book file in Excel?
- Grade Book: How do I upload or import grades from Excel to my gradebook?
- Grade Book: How do I add or edit grades for a particular member in my course?
- Grade Book: How do I find the columns I imported into my course Grade Book? How do I make these imported columns visible to students so they can see their grade?
- Grade Book: How do I hide or show grades for unenrolled students in my course?