Grade Book: How do I upload or import grades from Excel to my gradebook?
Grade Book: Import Data from Spreadsheet
You can import data from a spreadsheet, such as Microsoft Excel, that contains grades or other information. You can import the data to existing columns or create new columns during the import process.
You must create a comma-delimited or tab-delimited text file (.csv or .txt) containing the information you want to add. The first row of the text file must contain the field names and the remaining rows must contain the user records. Your text file must contain a User Name field and the user names for each member whose data you are importing.
We have seen problems with .csv files that have blank columns as the last column in the spreadsheet. They will either not import at all or they will only import half of the spreadsheet. If you rearrange the columns so that the last one is not empty, the file will import without problems.
Another consideration: if there are other areas of data on the spreadsheet that are outside of the main block of data (that is, you have your Grade Book and then decide to add formulas or other data in a non adjacent area of the spreadsheet), the file will not import. All data must be in adjacent cells with no empty rows or columns. This does not include row or column headings; you can have a labeled row or column that is empty.
The easiest way to get a properly formatted spreadsheet is to wait until your online course roster has finalized - that is, add-drop period has concluded - and export your roster from the Grade Book. The result is a text file that you can edit in a program like Microsoft Excel.
- To export Grade Book data, however, you must be enrolled as a Section Instructor; if you have the Teaching Assistant role, you can Import from a Spreadsheet but not Export to a Spreadsheet. If you do NOT see the Export to Spreadsheet button at the bottom of a Grade Book tab view, you are enrolled as a Teaching Assistant:
- If you are enrolled as a Teaching Assistant, either ask the Instructor to export the spreadsheet and send you the file or if you and the Instructor will be entering grades in both the Grade Book as well as offline throughout the course's duration, ask the Instructor if he or she would un-enroll you as a Teaching Assistant and enroll you into the Section Instructor role.
All new columns created during import are created as Text columns in the online Grade Book; Text columns cannot be used in grade calculations. If you want imported columns to be Alphanumeric, Calculated, Letter Grade, Numeric, or Selection list, you must create them first in Grade Book. During import, you can match columns in the text file to those columns you created in the Grade Book to house the data in the text file.
- Also, new columns created during import are NOT marked as a Grade Column or Released to Students. Columns must be grade-related to be viewed from the main Grades tab in the Grade Book. Columns must be Released to Students if you want them to see their grade in their My Grades area of the course.
Once you have a properly formatted text file (.csv or .txt), follow these instructions to import the file:
Step 1: From a Grade Book tab screen, click the Import from Spreadsheet button.
Step 2: On the Import File screen,
- Click Browse. Your computer's file browser appears.
- Locate and select the file you want to import. The Import File screen appears with the path and file name in the File text box.
- From the Separator drop-down list, select the character that separates column data in your file. If it is a .csv file, select Comma; if it is a .txt file, select Tab.
- Click Upload.
Step 3: On the Import File column matching screen,
Under Import Column, the field names from your text file are displayed. Under Match, a check mark will appear for those fields that could be matched to existing Grade Book data columns. Under Grade Book Column, for matched fields, the data column that matches your text file field is displayed. Under Data Preview, the various user values for that field are displayed.
In the row that represents the user name field in your file, from the drop-down list under Grade Book Column, select User ID.
IMPORTANT: The User ID column is a required column for matching purposes only and will not be imported
Check that the remaining fields from your text file are matched to data columns. If necessary, under Grade Book Column, from the drop-down list, do one of the following:
To select a data column to which to import the data, select the column.
To create a new data column for the data, select Add as new column.
If the data is not important and you do not wish to import it, select Do not import.
- To select a data column to which to import the data, select the column.
- Click Import. Your data is imported.
If you have any further questions, please contact us for support. Thank you.
- WebCampus Support
More Like This
- Grade Book: How do I download or export data from my course Grade Book?
- Grade Book: How do I work with my downloaded Grade Book file in Excel?
- Grade Book: How do I find the columns I imported into my course Grade Book? How do I make these imported columns visible to students so they can see their grade?
- Grade Book: How do I search for a member enrolled in my course?
- Grade Book: How do I add or edit grades for a particular column for all students in my course?