Groups: How do I create groups to which students can assign themselves?
ANSWER: GROUP MANAGER - CREATE GROUPS WITH SIGN-UP SHEETS
You can create one or more empty groups that Students can join by using a sign-up sheet. This allows Students to choose the group that they want to join. Students can sign up for only one group. Section Instructors and Teaching Assistants can also use the sign-up sheets to add Students to groups.
Step 1: From the Teach tab, click the Group Manager on the Instructor Tools menu:
Step 2: From the Group Manager screen, click Create Groups.
Step 3: Select Create groups with sign-up sheets and click Continue.
Step 4: In the Number of groups text box, enter the number.
- This is the number of groups that will appear on the sign-up sheet.
Step 5: In the Word or phrase all group names start with text box, enter the unique word or phrase with which you want the group names to begin.
- For example, if you enter the phrase History Assignment Group, the group names will be History Assignment Group 1, History Assignment Group 2, and so forth.
Step 6: Optionally enter a default description for the groups. Later, you will be able to add or edit the description for each group.
Step 7: In the Maximum Students per group text box, enter the number.
Step 8: If you want Students who have not yet signed up for a group to see the names of group members on the sign-up sheet, select Allow Students who have not yet joined a group to see the names of group members on the sign-up sheet.
Step 9: In the Sign-up sheet title text box, enter a title.
- The title will appear as a link to the sign-up sheet.
Step 10: In the Sign-up sheet instructions text box, enter the instructions for Students.
Step 11: From the Place the sign-up sheet link on drop-down list, select the location in your course where you want the link to appear.
Step 12: Click Continue.
Step 13: Click Save to create the groups.
If you have any further questions, please contact us for support. Thank you.
More Like This
- Groups: How do I edit sign-up sheets for groups in my course?
- Groups: How do I edit a group to add more members, remove members, and change settings?
- Groups: How do I create several groups at once and allow the system to randomly choose the members to place into each group?
- Groups: Overview
- PeopleLinks: *Overview