Groups: How do I create several groups at once and allow the system to randomly choose the members to place into each group?
ANSWER: GROUP MANAGER - CREATE MULTIPLE GROUPS
When you create multiple groups, you can choose to:
- Create empty groups in which you can add members later.
- Create full groups in which Students and Auditors who are currently enrolled in your course are randomly distributed. Group size and selection are based on whether you specify the number of members that you want in each group or specify the number of groups you want created.
Step 1: From the Teach tab, click the Group Manager on the Instructor Tools menu:
Step 2: From the Group Manager screen, click Create Groups.
Step 3: Select Create multiple groups and click Continue.
Step 4: Under Group Information:
- In the Word or phrase all group names start with text box, enter the unique word or phrase with which you want the group names to begin. For example, if you enter the phrase History Assignment Group, the group names will be History Assignment Group 1, History Assignment Group 2, and so forth.
- Optionally enter a default description for the groups. Later, you will be able to add or edit the description for each group.
Step 5: Under How Should the Groups Be Created?, specify how you want to create the groups:
To create empty groups and add section members later:
- Select Create empty groups, and add members later.
- In the Number of groups text box, enter the number of groups you want to create.
To create full groups in which Students and Auditors who are currently enrolled in your course are randomly distributed:
- Select Create full groups, and randomly distribute Students.
- If you want to include the demo student in one of the groups, under the Students, select Include the demo student in one of the groups. If you select this option, from the Student View tab, you will be able to view assignments that are assigned to groups in which the demo student is a member. This gives you the opportunity to test the appearance and usability of group assignments.
Under Set Up Groups, specify how you want to set up the groups:
- To randomly distribute the members by the number of groups, select By number of groups and, in the text box, enter the number of groups you want to create.
- To assign a specific number of members to each group, select By number of Students per group and, in the text box, enter the number of Students and Auditors you want in each group.
- Under What Should Be Done with Any Extra Members, select whether extra Students and Auditors should be randomly distributed among the groups, put in their own group, or left to be manually added to groups later.
Step 6: Click Continue.
Step 7: Optionally edit the group names and descriptions.
Step 8: If you created full groups and you want to shuffle group members between the groups, click Shuffle Members.
- The Confirm Created Groups screen updates and the group members are shuffled between the groups.
Step 9: Click Save.
The Group Manager screen appears and the groups are created. NOTE: If you created full groups, under Members, the names of each group's members appear. If a group contains more than 10 members, to view all group members, click View All Members.
If you have any further questions, please contact us for support. Thank you.
- WebCampus Support