Respondus: Step 2 of 2 in Creating a Quiz using Respondus: Upload the Quiz using Respondus
Creating a Quiz Using Respondus
NOTE: For Step 1 of this process, see article Respondus: Step 1 of 2 in Creating a Quiz using Respondus: Create a Word Processing Document. Navigate the folder structure on the left under Instructors > Assessments > Respondus.
Step 2: Upload the Quiz using Respondus
Step 2.1: Open Respondus
Step 2.2: Click inside the Respondus window to close the Respondus title screen or wait for it to disappear.
Step 2.3: Select the “Import Questions” button. The Import Questions window will open.
Step 2.4: Select the file format from the drop-down menu for “Type of file” under item 1.
- Text file in “Standard Format” = for word processing files saved as simple text (.txt).
- Rich Text in “Standard Format” = for word processing files saved as rich text (.rtf).
Step 2.5: Select the “Browse” button following the “File name” text box and search for your file containing the quiz questions. The File to Import window will open.
Step 2.6: Select the file and then select the “Open” button. The path to the file will appear in the “File name” text box
Step 2.7: Select the “Browse” button following the “Image Folder” text box and search for the folder containing any images required for your quiz. The Browse for Folder window will open.
Step 2.8: Select the folder and then select the “OK” button. The path to the folder will appear in the “Image Folder” text box.
Step 2.9: Select the radio button in item 2 for how the new questions will be stored in Respondus.
- Append the questions to the current document = adds questions to an existing document in Respondus.
- Create a new document, named = creates a new document in Respondus. If you create a new document, select the radio button to indicate whether it is an exam or survey.
Step 2.10: Select the check box for “Use stem plus question number to create title...” if you want Respondus to create question titles using a specific stem such as “Chapter02,” etc. Specify the stem in the text box.
Step 2.11: Select the “Preview” button in item 3.
- The questions will appear in the “Preview results” table and you may review them.
Warning: Watch the text box below “Preview results” for any problems encountered by Respondus. Some common warnings
- No warnings - You are clear to proceed
- Duplicate titles - Respondus will resolve this problem
- No answers - You have some questions that do NOT have the answer identified
Step 2.12: Resolve any warnings before proceeding.
Step 2.13: Select the “Finish” button if everything is OK. A new window will open indicating the file has been saved.
Step 2.14: Select the “OK” button to proceed.
- The Import Questions and new window will close.
- The Edit Questions screen will appear.
Step 2.15: Make changes to any questions and add new questions from the Edit Questions screen.
- Select the hyperlinked name of the question to preview it. Click on the “OK” button to close the preview window.
To create a new question:
- Select the button for the type of question you want to create.
- Enter the question title in the text box under item 1.
- Enter the text of the question or question stem in the text box under item 2.
- The rest of the items will vary depending on the type of question selected.
The last item will add the question to your list.
- Add to End of List = will put the question at the end.
- Insert into List = will allow you to select where the questions will be added.
Step 2.16: Select the “Preview & Publish” tab at the top of the page once all the questions are created.
The Preview screen will appear.
Step 2.17: Select the “Publish to WebCT” button on the left side of the screen.
The Publish to WebCT screen will appear.
Step 2.18: Select the Publish Wizard button.
If this is the first time you use Respondus, you will have to set up the WebCT server information.
Step 2.19: Select “-add new server-” from the drop-down menu for “WebCT Server.” The WebCT Server Information window will open.
- Select “-add new server-” from the drop-down menu for “WebCT Server.” The WebCT Server Information window will open.
- Copy the Server URL (see your browser's address bar).
- Click the Extract button.
- Select the Institutions button then choose your university.
- In the Description field, call this connection whatever you want.
- Fill in your username and password for your online course login.
- Remember my ... Check this box; otherwise, you'll have to repeatedly re-enter this information. However, do NOT check this box if you share your computer!
Step 2.19: Select the “OK” button at the top of the screen.
- The WebCT Server Information window will close.
- Be patient, it may take a few minutes for the server to connect.
- You are returned to the Publish to WebCT screen.
- Once you are connected, the name of the server will appear in item 1, “WebCT Server.”
Step 2.20: After the server information is established, to publish your quiz, select the appropriate information for the remaining steps:
Select the appropriate course (a list will appear if you have more than one) to be the destination for the quiz or test. If course templates apply to you, a list of templates will appear in the Template box.
If you are uploading a new assessment, select "Create a new category." If adding questions to an existing assessment, select "Use an existing category" and select the category.
"Add questions to the questions database" is always checked, but you will want to select "Create/update Exam" and then select the appropriate choice and quiz name. Check the "Apply Question Sets to quiz" box only if you are having WebCT deliver randomly selected questions in quizzes. You will probably always want to select the check box for "Apply Settings to Exam." Check the "Link exam to Folder or Learning Module" only if you want to place a quiz link in a specific context in your course.
- Click Publish and watch while Respondus takes care of the upload for you!
When the status text box reports “Completed successfully,” Respondus is done and the quiz is now online.
Step 2.21: Close Respondus.
Locate your Questions in the Course
Step 1: Login to your online course where you published your questions.
Step 2: From the Build tab, click the Assessments tool.
Step 3: Click on the Go to Question Database button.
You should see the category you published.
Step 4: Click the + next to the category to expand it and see the individual questions.
From here you can see the type of question, preview the question, or delete the question from your database.
You can now create quizzes in your course by adding these questions to those quizzes.
More Like This
- Respondus: *Overview
- Assignments: How do I upload my web site project for a grade?
- Release Criteria: Show me an example of how to set up several release criteria on a single item.
- Respondus: Step 1 of 2 in Creating a Quiz using Respondus: Create a Word Processing Document
- Assessment Question Types: Calculated